Illicit Discharges

The City of Oak Point regulates illicit discharges under Article 13.05 of our Code of Ordinances entitled "Prohibition of Illicit Connections and Discharges Into the Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System". The articles serves to outline what can and cannot enter the City's municipal separate storm sewer system (MS4) as well as the City's authority in regulating discharges from residents and businesses into the MS4. To see the entire article, please refer to our Code of Ordinances.

What is the MS4?

The abbreviation MS4 stands for municipal separate storm sewer system. This system is made up of any structures used to convey stormwater from our City back into the environment to prevent flooding and damage to our infrastructure. Common components of the MS4 include curb inlets, storm drains, and outfalls. As part of the City's Stormwater Management Plan, Oak Point is obligated to ensure that our MS4 is properly protected and maintained; regulating illicit discharges is one of the key ways we accomplish this.

What is an illicit discharge?when it rains it drains

An illicit discharge is any non-stormwater substance that is released into the MS4 and that could cause harm to the environment or MS4. 

  •  Excessive sediment that could cause accumulation of sediment in the MS4 or cause the MS4 to discharge excessive sediment to waters of the state.
  • Motor oil, antifreeze, or any other motor vehicle fluid.
  • Hazardous waste (household or industrial).
  • Sewage/septic tank waste, grease trap waste, or grit trap waste.
  • Runoff or wash-down water from animal pens.
  • Wastewater from vehicle washing or maintenance.
  • Filter backwash containing suspended solids. 
  • Swimming pool water with a chlorine level greater than 0.1 ppm or any other treatment chemicals. The pH must also fall between 6-8.
  • Brush, leaves, grass clippings, and other yard waste.
  • Excessive dust or dusty materials.
  • Garbage, trash, debris, or rubbish.
  • Any material or substance that will damage, block, or clog the MS4.
  • Any polluted liquids.

What is a permitted discharge?

A permitted discharge is any non-stormwater discharge that is allowed to enter the MS4.

  • Water line flushing (does not include hyper chlorinated water or any other treated water that could harm aquatic life). 
  • Runoff from irrigation systems.
  • Diverted stream flows.
  • Rising and/or uncontaminated ground water.
  • Foundation and footing drains.
  • Air condition condensation.
  • Water from crawl space pumps.
  • Discharges from fire fighting activities.

How do I report an illicit discharge?

Call City Hall at 972-294-2312 or fill out an online request form and a City staff member will address the issue as soon as possible. If it's an emergency, please call 911. 

Illicit Discharge Resources

illicit discharge example