Registering to Vote
To vote in any election, including municipal elections, residents must be registered to vote in the precinct where they reside. To be eligible to register, you must:
- Be 18 years old (you may register at 17 years and 10 months)
- Be a resident of the County
- Be a U.S. citizen
- Not a convicted felon (unless a person’s sentence is completed, including any probation or parole)
- Not declared mentally incapacitated by a court of law
Residents may pick up a Voter Registration Application at City Hall, and mail the application to the Denton County Elections office. You may also go to the Denton County Elections website and print an application, which can then be mailed. To be eligible to vote, voter registration must be completed 30 days prior to the election.
If you have any questions, or wish to verify your voter registration information, please contact Denton County Elections at 940-320-VOTE (8683) or visit the Vote Denton website.
Early Voting by Mail
A registered voter is eligible for early voting by mail if the voter meets at least one of the following criteria:
- Age - The voter is 65 years of age or older on Election Day.
- Confinement in Jail- The voter is confined in jail at the time the application is submitted if:
- Pending trial after denial of bail
- Pending trial or appeal on a bailable offense for which release on bail before Election Day is unlikely
- Serving a misdemeanor sentence for a term that ends on or after election day
- Without bail pending an appeal of a felony conviction
- Disability - The voter has an illness or physical condition that prevents the voter from appearing at the polling place on Election Day.
- Out of the County - The voter will be out of the county of the voter’s residence on Election Day and during the hours of voting at the main early voting polling place during the part of the period for early voting by personal appearance remaining after the voter’s early voting ballot application is submitted to the Early Voting Clerk. If the voter does not submit the application before early voting by personal appearance begins, the voter is ineligible for early voting by mail unless the voter is absent from the county when the application is submitted.
Please contact the Denton County Elections Administrator at 940-349-3200 or visit Denton County Elections website