Planning & Engineering
The Planning and Engineering Department helps to guide growth and development within the City and its Extraterritorial Jurisdiction (ETJ).
It actively works with a number of other agencies, including Denton County, a wide variety of utility companies, North Central Texas Council of Governments (NCTCOG), a variety of state agencies, and the Oak Point Economic Development Corporation to coordinate efforts and ensure good practices and compliance with the requirements of each.
The department consists of three divisions:
The Division of Planning & Zoning encompasses a broad spectrum of policies, programs, and resources that affect the public. The goal of these programs is to further the welfare of people and their communities by creating convenient, equitable, healthful, efficient, and attractive environments for present and future generations. It includes the traditional planning functions of subdivision platting, land use and zoning, land development, long and short range planning, annexation, sign regulation. The Comprehensive Plan, various other long and short range plans, and the Unified Development Code serve as major guiding documents for this office.
The Division of Engineering & Capital Improvements includes design review for public infrastructure, capital improvements construction, floodplain management, traffic engineering, and environmental design.
The Division of Building Codes and Permitting assists in ensuring the safe construction of buildings in compliance with the adopted building codes and ordinances. This Division provides expert assistance to several boards and commissions, including the City Council, Planning and Zoning Commission and Zoning Board of Adjustment.
In an effort to meet the needs of the citizens, the Planning and Engineering Department has four primary missions:
- To properly manage the growth and development of the community by carrying out adopted policies and providing professional expertise in the area of city planning, engineering, and development
- To continue our commitment to providing high quality customer service to the various groups we serve, including the general public, builders, developers, land owners, neighborhood groups, city commissions, and outside agencies
- To maintain fair and consistent application of rules and regulations, encourage broad participation in land use decisions and access to land use data, and provide forward thinking, innovative, and solution-oriented advice on community planning, engineering, building, and resource management issues
- To enhance the tax base and livability of the community by encouraging high quality growth and development.
- 2022 Zoning and Development Review Schedule
- 2021 Annexation, Zoning, and Development Manual (PDF)
- 2019 Oak Point Updated Comprehensive Plan - Adopted 7.15.2019 (PDF)
- Development / Grading / Fill Permit Application (PDF)
- Single-Family Residential District Regulations - Zoning (PDF)
- City of Oak Point Zoning Map (PDF)